I have a few cakes to bake in the next few weeks... With the temperatures over 100° all this week the thought of heating the house just makes me sweat.
I needed a good idea of how to bake without the heat.
After some googling I discovered quite the secret.
Baking on the grill!
- Preheat grill to 350°
- Use a really good grilling thermometer to gauge the temperature. I use THIS ONE.
- Bake this using indirect heat. (I used 2 out of 4 burners. One on each end of the grill and placed the cake in the middle.) Once the grill has reached the appropriate temperature set it on low heat.
- Mix cake as usual.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Place cake on grill in the "cool" spot.
- Moderate the temperature so it stays around 350°
- Let bake 30 - 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
I actually baked the cake at about 330° and just cooked it a but longer.
The cake turned out beautifully.
I will be doing this again soon.