I thought I'd share a recipe today. I made cupcakes last night to use up a bit of frosting I had left over in my fridge, and I wanted something a little different for my cake flavor. And since Monday (August 6) is National Root Beer Float Day I figured I'd do my own little celebration... 4 days late. The cup cakes were rather delicious so here is how you can make them too.
Root Beer Float Cake Recipe
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups cold root beer *
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1- 2 tsp root beer extract (for that extra root beer-y flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1-1/4 cups cold root beer, oil and eggs. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes or stir by hand for 3 minutes.
- Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan bake for 30-35 minutes
- 24 Cupcakes 18 21 minutes
- Or following baking suggestions on the box.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
The recipe suggests using a whipped cream topping or you could make a yummy vanilla butter cream.
* Cold root beer works better than room temperature for some weird reason.